Monday, July 31, 2006

What an Honor

Who knew I was so accomplished?

A letter I received today informed me that I've been chosen to be included in the upcoming First Edition of Who's Who of Emerging Leaders.

According to the letter:
"You have been selected for inclusion because you represent the best of a new generation of achievers worldwide. Only 25,000 men and women under the age of 40 have been selected to be profiled in the First Edition of Who's Who of Emerging Leaders...


Of course, I'm entitled to to order my own personal copy of this book at 25 percent savings. (Which still is $195 I have better uses for.)

The thing is, I used to fall for these kinds of things. One of the shelves on my parents' bookcase has a whole row of Who's Who in American High Schools and The National Dean's List that I purchased in my younger and dumber years. Now the whole thing reminds me way too much of the poetry.com scam.

What in the world have I done that's notable? My book isn't published yet. I've gotten a few of these Marquis things over the years. I think I've also been "selected" to be in Who's Who in America and Who's Who in American Women. I filled out the first one and returned it without paying for a book. I got so annoyed by the company's unceasing mailings (and e-mailings) thereafter that I vowed never to do it again.

But, today, I googled "Marquis Who's Who scam" just to make sure I wasn't turning down some great honor before the whole thing went into the shredder. I found this gem of an article from Forbes magazine.

Yep, that's about what I thought.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home