Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The End of Books? I hope not!

This seems to be a reoccurring theme. Over the last week or so, several of the blogs I follow have had entries on the move away from the printed word. We have "information" now. We don't need "books" anymore.

See here and here to find out what I'm talking about.

Call me an old fart (I'm in my late 20s), but I'm not sure if I'll ever want to read a book off a computer screen. I love sitting in a chair, breathing in the smell of pages. Frankly, I'm sick of doing absolutely everything on my computer. No, I don't want to do my banking or buy my stamps online. I'd go absolutely stir crazy if I couldn't get out of the house sometimes - and going to the bank or the post office often makes a pleasant excuse.

I'm not saying I don't like the convenience of being able to check accounts online, but some things I just want to do in person. I'm a writer. I read blogs. I spend a lot of time in front of my computer already. But I'm not the sort of person who can spend all day there happily. I get more exhausted spending 9 to 5 at a computer screen than I do actually moving around in the world.

This may be one of the reasons that my account at Second Life lasted less than a week before I told them to cancel me. I just could not see myself spending hours at a time in a fantasy world when there's so much to do out here in "First Life"...

... Like read a book.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home