Monday, July 31, 2006

The Outlander saga

Here's another review of one (or six, actually) of my all-time favorites

Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon




People kept telling me how good these books were, and I kept putting off reading them because they're time travel romances. Time travel romances are always completely cheesy aren't they? Well, I finally broke down and read "Outlander," and quickly discovered it's one of the most original novels out there. I was so happy to see Barnes & Noble move them out of the "romance" section because they are way more involved than your typical girl meets boy.

Claire, the World War II combat nurse who wanders through an ancient stone circle in the Highlands of Scotland and finds herself suddenly in the 18th Century, is a refreshing change from the princess-type heroine. Jamie Fraser, the Scot who winds up being the love of her life, is at times both a sweet innocent and a dangerous and passionate warrior. In the later novels I've come to love their daughter and son-in-law as well.

Be forewarned: these books are gargantuan pieces of historical fiction mixed with fantasy, some very steamy erotic stuff and the occasional gruesome torture scene. They are also addicting. I stayed up until 3:30 one night finishing "Outlander." The next day, I went to the bookstore and bought the rest of the series.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home